What we'll cover:
- Why You Should Provide Item Specifics on Your Listings
- Two Pre-Fill Options for Adding Item Specifics
- How to Map Solid Commerce Attributes to eBay Item Specifics
- Adding Custom Attributes as Item Specifics
- Adding Default Item Specific Values
- Populating Your Item Specifics
- Related Articles
Why You Should Provide Item Specifics on Your Listings
Item specifics provides buyers with details about your products. eBay recommends using as many item specifics on your listings as possible because:
- They help you appear higher in search results.
- The Refine search column that appears on the left side of the eBay search results page allows buyers to narrow their search results based on popular item specifics. If you don't provide item specifics, your listings will not be included when buyers refine their search.
- Buyers may feel more confident purchasing from you.
Two Pre-Fill Options for Adding Item Specifics
The first step in providing item specifics to eBay is choosing a Pre-Fill option.
You can select your Pre-Fill option in the Basic Listing Information section of your eBay Listing Template. For more info about the templates, see Creating an eBay Listing Template.
The Pre-Fill options:
Pre-Fill Required: Select this option if you want to use product information from eBay's catalog on your listing. If your product is available in eBay's catalog, the item specifics will automatically appear on your listing. Images from the catalog can also be added to your listing, as well as fitment information for eBay Motors.
If we don't find your product in eBay's catalog, we won't submit it for listing.
- You must provide one of the following product identifiers so we can search eBay's catalog: Ebay PID, ISBN, ASIN, or UPC.
- If you don't have any of the above product identifiers for your product, you may select the Use MPN check box. We will search by the Manufacturer and Model Number saved to your product instead.
- This option is primarily used by eBay Motors sellers.
- See Using the Manufacturer Part Number (MPN) to List to eBay for more info.
Pre-Fill Optional: This is the more commonly selected option. With it, we still search eBay's catalog to see if we can automatically provide information on your listing. The major difference from the Pre-Fill Required option is that we will list your item even if we don't find it in eBay's catalog.
You can select which item specifics you want to include on your listings, just make sure to select any that are required. You can verify which item specifics are required for your category directly in your eBay account.
Once you have selected your Pre-Fill option, click the Save Changes button at the top of your template.
How to Map Solid Commerce Attributes to eBay Item Specifics
NOTE: We will automatically pull in the required and recommended Item Specifics from eBay per the category you select if you have successfully connected your eBay account to your Channels Manager account under Marketplaces>Sales Channel Connections
1) Item specifics vary by eBay category. In order to import your item specifics, make sure you have selected a Category 1 under the Basic Listing Information and saved the template.
2) Click on the Update Pre-Fill Details button to the right of the Pre-Fill Type drop-down menu.
3) The Select Product Attributes pop-up will display eBay's item specifics for your category in the Field Name column. Check the boxes next to item specifics you would like to include on your listings.
- Item specifics will only appear on your eBay listings if you provide a value in the corresponding Solid Commerce attribute. Even if you rarely use an item specific, you should still select it.
- Don't select item specifics for any variation fields.
- EXAMPLE: If you want to offer multiple sizes on a single listing by using the item specific Size (Women's), don't select Size (Women's) in the Select Product Attributes pop-up. For more information about setting up variations, see Listing Variations on eBay.
4) Select the corresponding Solid Commerce attribute in the Match to SC Attribute column next to each item specific you have enabled.
- The value you provide in the Solid Commerce attribute for each product will appear as the item specific value on eBay.
- EXAMPLE: If you are selling a Calvin Klein women's top, save Calvin Klein in the Manufacturer field in Solid Commerce. In the Select Product Attributes pop-up, checkmark the Brand Field Name. Choose Manufacturer from the Match to SC Attribute drop-down. When you list your top, we will send the value Calvin Klein to eBay as the Brand.
If your Solid Commerce attribute name is the same as the eBay item specific name, you must still select the corresponding Solid Commerce attribute from the Match to SC Attribute drop-down.
5) Click the Save Attributes button.
Adding Custom Attribute as Item Specifics
If you would like to include an item specific not found in the Select Product Attributes window, you can add your own custom item specifics.
1) In the Select Product Attributes window, click the green Add Custom Attributes button.
2) Below the Field Name column, type the title of the item specific as you would like it to appear on eBay.
3) In the Match to SC Attribute drop-down menu, select the attribute that corresponds to your item specific.
For information on creating custom Product Attributes in Solid Commerce, see Creating and Using Custom Product Attributes.
4) Click the green Save Attributes button.
Adding Default Item Specific Values
If you have an item specific that should be populated with the same value on every listing, leave the Match to SC Attribute drop-down set to Do Not Match and select your default Field Value from the second drop-down. eBay also allows you to enter custom information for most item specifics. If the item specific allows free form entries, you will be able to type your own default in the Field Value drop-down.
EXAMPLE: You sell t-shirts, but never carry Big & Tall sizes. You can checkmark the Size Type Field Name, and select Regular from the Field Value drop-down. We will send a Size Type of Regular for every t-shirt you list without you having to provide the Size Type on each of your t-shirts.
Populating Your Item Specifics
Once you match your Solid Commerce attributes to your eBay item specifics, all you need to do is provide values in the corresponding Solid Commerce fields for your products. We will automatically submit the values to eBay as the corresponding item specifics.
For information on creating or populating Product Attributes, see Creating and Using Custom Product Attributes.
- Creating an eBay Listing Template
- eBay Listing Template Settings: Basic Listing Information Section
- Creating and Using Custom Product Attributes
- Using the Manufacturer Part Number (MPN) to List to eBay
- Listing a Product to eBay Using a Spreadsheet