This article will show you three ways to find the number that eBay assigns its categories.
You really only need the eBay Category Numbers if you are listing through a spreadsheet. If you are listing manually through our user interface, you can select your eBay Categories by name.
To clarify, this article is about the categories eBay creates on its marketplace, not the categories you create in your eBay Store. We have a separate article about Finding eBay Store Category Numbers.
What we'll cover in this article:
- Finding Category Numbers on an eBay Page
- Finding Category Numbers Through eBay's All Categories Page
- Finding Category Numbers in Solid Commerce
- Keeping a List of Category Numbers
- Related Articles
Finding Category Numbers on an eBay Page
One way to get an eBay Category Number is to view one of your existing listings, or the listing of another seller.
1) On eBay, view one of your listings, or find a listing for the type of product you will be listing.
2) At the top of the page, find the breadcrumb path of eBay categories. The trail ends on the right with the most refined ("leaf") category. Click that last category.
3) After the category page loads, the eBay category number will be displayed in the URL, directly before the i.html. The category number has forward slashes on both sides.
Finding Category Numbers Through eBay's All Categories Page
eBay's All Categories page gives you a comprehensive list of categories to use as a starting point.
1) Click on this link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/allcategories/all-categories.
2) Click on a subcategory.
3) You need to navigate to a final category that doesn't have any subcategories below it (a leaf category).
- If there is a list of subcategories in the left sidebar menu after you select a category on the All Categories page, you need to select a subcategory from the list.
4) After the category page loads, the eBay category number will be displayed at the end of the URL.
Finding Category Numbers in Solid Commerce
You can also use Solid Commerce's own eBay tool to search for categories.
1) In the Marketplaces menu -> eBay Listing Templates.
2) Choose any of your templates, or click the Add New Template button.
- Or in any eBay Market List, you can click a product's gear icon to open a popup with its eBay Listing Details.
3) Expand the Basic Listing Information section.
4) Click the Category 1 or Category 2 drop-down menu.
5) Scroll through the menu's category options, clicking the + signs to keep expanding categories.
- You can only list to a category that has no + sign next to it (these are the leaf categories).
- Each category has its category number next to it in parentheses.
Keeping a List of Category Numbers
Many of our clients find it handy to keep a list of the names and numbers of the eBay Categories they use. Keeping them in a spreadsheet makes copying and pasting them easy.
- Finding eBay Store Category Numbers
- Creating an eBay Listing Template
- eBay Listing Template Settings: Basic Listing Information Section
- Revising an eBay Listing Template and Updating Live Listings
Article is closed for comments.