This article will show how you can use custom Order Statuses to help you organize and track your orders.
What we'll cover in this article:
- What is a Custom Order Status?
- Creating a Custom Order Status
- Using a Custom Order Status
- Related Articles
What is a Custom Order Status?
If you want to track the stages an order goes through as you process it, a custom Order Status is the thing for you. It could actually be called a custom Order Sub-Status because you create it as a status inside one of the Solid Commerce's stock order statuses. That makes it easy to see how the custom status marks a stage within your larger process.
Here's one popular use for custom Order Statuses:
Let's say you ship at least some of your orders out of your own warehouse. You could create a "Picked" status as a sub-status of Solid Commerce's "Paid" status. When you start to process orders, you would search for all your new "Paid" orders, select them, and print a pick list. While the orders were still selected, you would change them to your custom "Picked" status. This process would allow you to easily see which orders were new, and which ones were already being processed. When you ship the orders, they will automatically update to "Shipped" status.
Here's another common use case:
Let's say you have a vendor that drop ships orders for you. You could create a "PO Sent to Vendor" status that is a sub-status of Solid Commerce's "Paid" status. That would help you track which orders you sent to your vendor already, and which orders need to be sent.
You can get creative and use custom Order Statuses for any kind of tracking or organizing you need to do — track what employee worked with an order, track backorders, and so on.
Creating a Custom Status
1) In the Orders menu -> Manage Order Status. This opens a popup window with a list of regular and custom statuses.
- Leave the drop-down menu at the top of the window set to Manage Orders.
2) In the drop-down menu at the bottom left, select a Parent Status for your custom status.
3) Enter your custom Status Name.
4) Choose a Status Color from the drop-down menu so that your custom orders can get colorful.
5) Click the Add New button.
6) The new status's name and color will appear under its parent status above.
- To delete a status, click its red X.
Using a Custom Order Status
Go to the Orders menu -> Manage Orders page.
From this page you can:
- Use the Search's Order Status tools to search for either:
- The parent status, which will also find any orders that have been assigned custom statuses that are sub-statuses of the parent.
- The parent status only, by selecting the parent status from the Order Status drop-down menu, and checking the Exclude sub-statuses box before searching.
- The custom status only, by selecting it in the Order Status drop-down menu.
- Apply the custom status to orders:
- Check mark the order(s) you want to change.
- Set the Change Status drop-down to your custom status.
- Click the Apply Status Change button.
- Orders section