If you need to list items that are already listed on Rakuten, please see Listing Products That Are Already Available in the Rakuten Catalog.
To create listings on Rakuten through Solid Commerce, you need to populate and upload one of our category-specific listing templates.
What we'll cover:
- Getting Approval From Rakuten to Create New SKU Listings
- The Advantages of Creating New SKU Listings on Rakuten Through Solid Commerce
- Downloading Rakuten's New SKU Creation Guidelines for Reference
- Adding Your Products to Solid Commerce
- Populating Your New SKU Listing Feed
- Uploading Your File
- Troubleshooting a New SKU Feed That Is Not Processing
- Downloadable Templates for Creating New SKUs on the Rakuten Marketplace
- Related Articles
Getting Approval From Rakuten to Create New SKU Listings
You must request approval from Rakuten before you can create New SKU listings. You need to get approval for each category you want to list to.
You may have already requested approval when you first connected your Solid Commerce account to Rakuten. If not, please send the email below to: MPIntegration@mail.rakuten.com.
I am emailing you because I would like to create New SKU listings through Solid Commerce.
Company Name: <enter the company name on your Rakuten account>
Thank you for your assistance!
The Advantages of Creating New SKU Listings on Rakuten Through Solid Commerce
Creating New SKU listings on Rakuten through Solid Commerce offers some advantages over listing directly through Rakuten. Here are the top two:
- You only have to upload one file to Solid Commerce instead of two. After you upload our modified version of the New SKU Feed, we will automatically send the Inventory Feed.
- If you upload files directly to Rakuten, they manually review and approve your first few submissions before processing them. Screening the files takes time. When the listings come from Solid Commerce, Rakuten doesn't manually review them—making the listing process quicker.
Downloading Rakuten's New SKU Creation Guidelines for Reference
If you aren't familiar with creating New SKUs on Rakuten, downloading their guidelines will help you populate your Solid Commerce template.
1) Log into your Rakuten admin RMS portal.
2) From the homepage, in the Manage Products sidebar menu, click on Upload Feed.
3) In the File Formats section near the bottom of the page, click on the Marketplace New SKU Feed Specifications link.
4) Once the new page loads, find the Step 1 sub-section in the New SKU Feed - In Bulk section. Choose a category from the Department drop-down menu.
5) After you select a department, a New SKU Feed Documents section will appear. You will have the option to download:
- New SKU Feed Specifications — Definitions, required fields, and expected values for the New SKU Feed Template.
- New SKU Feed Creation Guide — Step-by-step instructions for populating the feed template.
- Feed Template — You don't need to download this template. You will populate and upload our version of the template instead.
- Category Attributes — Category ID numbers with the required and optional attributes for each category.
Adding Your Products to Solid Commerce
Your products need to be saved in a Solid Commerce Warehouse or Vendor Inventory List before you can list them.
- You can enter your product and inventory information on our template if you'd like to add the products as you list them.
- To learn how to create new products, and add them to a Warehouse, see the Related Articles section.
Populating Your New SKU Listing Feed
1) Download a template from the bottom of this article.
- If you don't see a template for your category, please leave us a comment at the bottom of this article requesting it. Include the name Rakuten uses for the category.
2) Populate all of the required fields in this table. Some of them replace fields found in Rakuten's New SKU feeds.
- If you are listing products that already exist in Solid Commerce, and have already populated any of the fields in this table, you don't need to enter your information again.
- If your products already exist in Solid Commerce with data, the only required fields are: results, product custom sku, warehouse id, list name.
- As a general note, if you turn on the inline help from the Solid Commerce tab in Excel, required fields are bold.
|Required Fields||Field Descriptions and Valid Values|
|results||Leave this field blank. It will automatically populate if you upload the file using the Solid Commerce Excel Add-In Tool.|
Only required if you are adding new products to Solid Commerce.
|product custom sku
||The SKU of your product.|
This field allows you to enter a generic product description that can be used on multiple marketplaces.
When submitting the product description to Rakuten, our system will first look for a description in our rakuten description field. If the rakuten description field is empty, we will submit the description from the description field. You only need to provide a description or a rakuten description, not both.
According to Rakuten's requirements, your description should be one block of text without any HTML, tabs, carriage returns, special characters, etc.
||The URL of your main image.|
The weight of your product in ounces. It must be an integer. No decimal points.
||The Warehouse ID of your product.|
||Only required if you are adding products to a Warehouse. Enter the name of your Solid Commerce Warehouse or Vendor Inventory List.|
|qty||Only required if you are adding products to a Warehouse. Enter the total inventory of your product.|
|list name||The name of your Rakuten Market List in Solid Commerce.|
|rakuten product id type||For New SKU listings, always enter 3 so we submit your Seller SKU to Rakuten.|
|rakuten product id||The SKU of your product.|
||The name of the Warehouse(s) Solid Commerce should use as the inventory source for your listings.|
|market auto rule||To make listing easy, we created a default rule. Always enter Rakuten Default in this field.|
Enter Yes to turn the automation on. Automated items are automatically submitted to Amazon for listing.
If you enter No, your product will not list until you turn the automation on.
|rakuten qty exp||
Enter lq in this field if you want to make your entire inventory available on Amazon. You can also enter formulas. See Using the Listing Quantity Expression to Control the Quantities on Your Listings for more.
|rakuten price exp||
This field controls the price of your item on Rakuten.
One option is to enter a number without a currency symbol. The other option is to enter the word cost, or simple formulas with the word cost, such as cost*1.5 or cost+5.
|rakuten catalog||Click the Turn inline help ON button in the Solid Commerce Excel Tool menu. Select a catalog name from the drop-down menu that appears.|
|rakuten title||The title you want to use for your Rakuten listing.|
|rakuten category id||The ID number of the category you want to list to. You can find the category ID numbers in Rakuten's Category Attributes file.|
3) Populate any of the following optional Solid Commerce fields. Some of these fields replace fields found in Rakuten's New SKU feeds.
- Except for the rakuten parent sku field, we have not added these optional fields to our templates. If you want to use them, you can use the Manage Excel Columns tool as described in Step 4 below.
||Field Descriptions and Valid Values|
|rakuten standard ship rate||The shipping fee you will charge on your listing. If you leave this field blank, Rakuten will use the default global shipping settings you saved in your Rakuten account.|
Sets whether or not you want to offer an expedited shipping option on your listings.
Yes or No
|rakuten expedited ship rate||The shipping fee you will charge if a buyer chooses expedited shipping. If you leave this field, Rakuten will use the default global shipping settings you saved in your Rakuten account.|
|rakuten parent sku||
You must use our rakuten parent sku field instead of Rakuten's "product-set-id" field (which is not included in our templates). Enter the same parent sku for all of the items in your variation listing. Populate the Rakuten attributes necessary to define your variation.
This field may contain up to 50 characters.
If you don't add this field to your template, we will submit all items as new by default. If you add this column, enter the numeric code that represents the condition of your product.
1 = Brand New
4) You can view additional fields, and add them to your file, by clicking the Manage Excel Columns button in the Solid Commerce menu.
- To see the Rakuten fields, check the Show Rakuten Fields box from the Show Standard Marketplace Fields menu.
- See Creating and Customizing a Solid Commerce Excel Template for more info about customizing a template.
5) Populate the rest of the template according to Rakuten's specifications.
- The Rakuten specific fields (with sc: as the column header prefix) are Product Attributes in Solid Commerce. That means that when you upload your file, you need to select both the Product update and Marketplace update options. If you are also adding products to a Warehouse, you need to select the Inventory update option as well.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT VARIATIONS!
The Solid Commerce templates include the rakuten parent sku column, but not the "product-set-id." You do not need to add columns for variations to the Solid Commerce templates.
To define your variation, provide values in the Rakuten attribute fields, just like you normally do.
Uploading Your File
Upload your file with a Product and Marketplace update.
- Rakuten specific fields are saved as Product Attributes on your products. During the upload, you must check Product update in addition to Marketplace update.
- If you are also adding products to a Warehouse, you need to check Inventory update as well.
After you upload your file, we will validate it before we submit it to Rakuten. If there are any issues, we will display error messages in your Solid Commerce Rakuten Market List.
Troubleshooting a New SKU Feed That Is Not Processing
If your file is not processing, your Rakuten account may not be enabled to process New SKU feeds. You must inform Rakuten that you want to upload New SKU feeds through Solid Commerce. Please email your request to: MPIntegration@mail.rakuten.com.
Downloadable Templates for Creating New SKUs on the Rakuten Marketplace
To create New SKUs on Rakuten, download and populate one of these Solid Commerce templates. You cannot upload a template downloaded from your Rakuten account into Solid Commerce.
If you don't see a template for your category, please leave us a comment below. Include the name Rakuten uses for the category.
- Everything Else
- Fashion Accessories
- Health and Beauty
- Home and Outdoor
- Jewelry and Watches
- Musical Instruments
- Connecting to the Rakuten Marketplace
- Importing Active Listings from the Rakuten Marketplace
- Listing Products That Are Already Available in the Rakuten Catalog
- Creating and Customizing a Solid Commerce Excel Template
- Uploading With the Excel Tool - Quick Guide
- Creating Products Using a Spreadsheet
- Adding Products to a Warehouse Using a Spreadsheet